Italian gelato

Someone told me to eat gelato when I was in Italy. Personally I am indifferent to it. I don't have a sweet tooth and am not crazy about ice cream. Nonetheless, I thought I should try anyway, as I could not promise myself that I would return to this country.

I was meandering in the old town of Rome, where all the tourists were. For the same product, say Venchi white chocolate bar with pistachios for instance, different stores would have very different prices. The one next to the Trevi Fountain asked for 3.80 euros, whereas most other places asked for 6 euros or higher. Considering that they were all within walking distance of one another, I could not rationalize the varying pricing strategies (or more appropriately, pricing randomness).

I found an ice cream store that did not exhibit such randomness and bought one scoop of pistachio gelato. I also tried other Italian desserts while I was there, but they were not worth highlighting.

I savoured my gelato while loitering around the city. I did not find it any different from the ice cream I ate in Canada. I used to eat Haagen Dazs. But then, I am not an ice cream connoisseur.

A few days later, I came across a gelato outlet in Souk Al Bahar. I made the impulsive purchase of two scoops of gelato; one pistachio, one tiramisu. I continued my stroll along the perimeter of Burj Khalifa Lake and enjoyed the fountain show, while finishing my gelato. The memory of my gelato in Rome created a very strong contrast against my gelato in Dubai. The tiramisu gelato had no tiramisu taste, ditto the pistachio. That was when I realized that Italian gelato in Italy was good!

You need to expand your horizon in order to appreciate everything in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money is Energy

Energy / Prana / Qi

Introversion and Extroversion