My Travel Experience with Taxi Drivers

There is a common topic about taxi drivers and tourists in less developed countries, ie. overpriced fare.

My experience in Egypt did not deviate from the norm, nor did I expect it to. However, in the process of being overcharged, I came to marvel at the ingenuity and innovation of the taxi drivers.

I always asked the hotel to arrange for a driver for me. Some hotels have connections to honest drivers. Some don't. Some taxi drivers pay a fee to the hotel, to maintain a business relationship.

Even when a hotel had negotiated the taxi fare for me, I would usually end up paying more. As soon as I got in the cab, the driver started to change my itinerary, to a longer one. First, they would befriend me. Then, they would ask about my entire trip. For example, where are you going after this? How long you plan to stay here? Once they knew my schedule, they started to re-shape my journey, saying that this place is on the way, you might as well go, or that place is a must-see, etc. This formula was used 100% of the time.

Once my itinerary was altered, they had several techniques to adjust the fare. The most common one was to let me decide, at the end of their service, what I thought was fair. No pressure. Once I had decided, they refused, saying that's not enough. Then I re-decided, again, no pressure. Then they came back, a bit more assertively, asking for 10% more, saying that the parking costed more, the area required special entrance fee, the area we stopped at was a different zone than what we initially agreed upon, etc. It was a delicate dance, a gentle push and a gentle shove, as they tried to gauge my flexibility and generosity. Once they knew my generosity level, they demanded 10% more.

It was quite fascinating to participate in that dance. At every step of the way, they were calculating, manoeuvering, guiding, etc.

Wherever I go, I see opportunities to donate to charity, whether it is in under-developed nations, or in first world countries. On my way from Egypt to the UK, I encountered three charitable organizations soliciting donations. One is to fund children to free access to immunizations for polio, tetanus, etc. One is to help girls in Africa escape from child marriage and child abuse. The third one I lost track already. But the point is, a charity is simply a vehicle of wealth re-distribution. Tourism sometimes has a charitable component to it.

The reason that some travelers got upset at being ripped off is that they felt disrespected. When you exchange services for an agreed upon price, it's called trade. When you demand money from someone who is unwilling to pay it, it's called theft.

The power and harshness of poverty had produced the assertiveness of the taxi drivers. I could sense the uncomfortably harsh energy stemming from their reality as I was pushing and shoving with them. The harshness of life is meant to motivate us to reach our higher potential, at every stage of our lives. It was interesting though strange for me to observe the higher potential of each driver.
I generously donated to the drivers. Quoting my Swiss penpal: "When you love, you do not need to be loved in return." If you have to give, give freely.  Such is the spirit of charity, and of humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money is Energy

Introversion and Extroversion

Energy / Prana / Qi