Our aging parents

A friend once told me, that his father never knew how to enjoy life. He worked and saved money. He retired with no hobbies. All the money he saved, he gave them to his sons.

His father is very similar to my own father.

As my father phases into his retirement years, I am becoming more wary of his health, not only physically, but especially emotionally and mentally. Those who have exited the working world are more prone to depression, as their social status has changed and their social exposure shrinks.

In Amsterdam, I asked an old gentleman for direction. This retiree ended up walking with me, for a long while, talking about the glory of his previous work life and the doom of his current retired life where his kids didn't want him around and his wife also didn't want to spend time with him. It sounded to me as if he had not have a human contact in a long while, despite the fact that Amsterdam was full of people. As he reluctantly parted ways with me, I diagnosed him with depression.

Some individuals tend to have contractive energy while others have expansive energy. To borrow Jung's dictionary, contractive energy manifests as being reticent, reserved, and introverted. Contractive energy is downward and inward, which makes a person easily depressive. Joy is an expansive energy.

When I see my father, I see different levels of care needed. I consider his mental health of top priority. This is a philosophical life question: do you want to be healthy, or be happy?

I choose to take him to places with expansive energy. A place in nature with a view. Nature has always nurture and nourish us, when we grow up and when we grow old. A beautiful and unobstructed view allows our energy to expand outward and upward. Think of the beach, the mountains, the stars, the desert, the sunset, etc. They all expand our energy, naturally and comfortably.

Today, I took him to a promenade by the valley, and let him explore. The view of the valley, the flowers, the people, the apartments, the railings, the pavement, and the benches all captured his attention. I did not tell him where to go or what to do, but merely followed his exploration. Whatever he had to say, I did not reject nor resist. I was merely allowing his energy to flow freely and smoothly. All sufferings come from unnatural energy flow. Happiness comes from liberation.

If we could tune our awareness to the poetic touches in our daily lives, even a simple walk in the park could have a therapeutic effect on our well-being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money is Energy

Introversion and Extroversion

Energy / Prana / Qi