Why is there such a thing as a housewife?

In the absence of a housewife this week, I swept the floor this morning. Sweeping is not an activity that I engage in often, as I prefer to get on my knees to wipe, scrub, and mop the floor. However, in order to cover a larger area, I swept.

While sweeping, I could not resist from asking, why is there such a thing as house chore? And why is there such a thing as a housewife? Why do we need to sweep the floor now, only to have it dirty again later? Why do we have to repeat ourselves?

I am sure, if I were to spend the entire day engaging in domestic activities, I would be able to come up with a book titled The Book of Questions. Then in fine print it will say, The Book of Answers will be sold separately.

I had lived alone for over three years. I did keep my home very clean. But I am not housewife material. When I sweep, I sweep the same area four five six times, and then expect the floor to be clean forever. If you put a speck of dust on it, I will blow up, at you.

There is no convenient solution for a permanently clean house. You can buy electrical gadgets or a housewife (maid), but they only shift the problem from one form to another. The gadget or the maid will take care of the house, but who will take care of the gadget or the maid? You. Do you want to take care of them? No. Then where is the problem? You.

In an attempt to not lose too much of myself in repetitive house chores, I have simplified my living quarters. The benefit is that I have more free time. The disadvantage is that I cannot have pets. But then I asked myself, if I were to live in a place where I could have animals, then what would the problem be? I would not be able to travel frequently, and I would not be able to cope with the psychological impact of a sick or dying animal. Okay, so no matter what our life circumstances are, we will still have problems. More often than not, our solution is merely to shift the problem from one form to another. The real underlying problem is not addressed. That real problem is ourselves.

So I am learning to be with myself. Whatever pain or problem I have right now, just be with it, fully. Any attempt to do something to make it go away, will only invite it to come back in another form.

This is not to say that inaction is better than change. Rather, it is necessary to see change as what it truly is, ie. a way to invite excitement to life, instead of to escape from or solve a problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money is Energy

Energy / Prana / Qi

Introversion and Extroversion