Portugal

The recent development of the Greek debt reminded me of my trip to one of the PIGS**.

I was in Portugal in the midst of summer. I took the tram from Lisbon to Belem. The tram was so crowded that I could not walk to the ticket machine.

The tram did not arrive exactly in Belem, but within walking distance of it. The operator announced something in Portuguese, and all passengers alighted from the tram.

I walked to a bench, to sit down. It was one of the stone benches, which was too hot for my butt, and there was not shade. I stood up and walked to a nearby park, and sat in the shade. While I cooled myself off, I started to write in my journal.

After writing about four pages, I decided to move around. Then I realized, my jacket was not with me. I had my passport, wallet, and phone in my jacket. Without those three items, I would not be able to continue my trip, I would not be able to fly back to Canada. I would be begging on the street.

I immediately looked around the park, retraced my steps.

I went back to the stone bench, and saw that my jacket was still there, with its content intact. I was relieved and surprised. There were so many people walking by, and sitting on the bench, yet nobody touched my jacket.

A Portuguese tour guide said, "We may be poor, but we have a high quality of living."

Indeed, poor in wealth, but pure in heart.



**An economic term referring to Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money is Energy

Energy / Prana / Qi

Introversion and Extroversion