The Reasons I Write

The three main reasons that propelled me to write:

1) The Swiss film director Godard once said, "Art is not a reflection of reality.  It is the reality of a reflection."

After I started writing, I understood this point.  It is the main reason why I am still writing today.

We think we are alive, but we are often dead inside.  A writer's task is to instill life in her writings.  If she has no life in her, she will have no life to instill in her works, and her audience will be able to sense it, how ever subtle that life may be.

My cousin's photography instructor said, to take a good portrait photo, the photographer must be genuinely interested in the subject.  In the same way, to write a good book, the writer must be genuinely interested and passionate about the subject.  After I started writing, I have taken up an interest in arachnids, the Qing dynasty, and other subjects which I would normally disregard, and have engaged in various conversations as part of my effort to write a better story.

2) Growth.  Progression.  Evolution.

From the short stories, to the novel, to the novella that I am writing today, there has been unmistakable transformation on many levels.  My writing skill has improved, for one; and this is most evident in my novella.  These improvements are my rewards as well as my encouragement to forge ahead, to expand beyond my boundary of ignorance.

3) To share and to inspire.

The best things in life are free.  I hope my readers could find some value in my writings, as I continue my personal journey to evolve to higher grounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money is Energy

Introversion and Extroversion

Inner Power